THE ST. ALOYSIUS CHILI COOKOFF IS BACK BY POPULAR DEMAND!
We are excited to announce the 2nd Annual Chili Cookoff. Team entry is FREE and only open to St. Aloysius Parishioners.
The deadline to enter is October 31, 2014.
CHILI COOKOFF RULES & REGULATIONS
- Set-up will begin promptly at 8:30 AM on Saturday, November 14. Each team will be assigned a designated area. The cook-off will be held on the ground level of the Primary Building, facing the fairgrounds.
- Entrants will be allowed to begin cooking at 10:00 AM.
- Chili shall be turned in at 3:15 PM at the designated location at the cooks’ meeting prior to or on the meeting of the event or as otherwise designated by the head judge.
- All entrants shall provide their own tailgate tent and equipment, including but not limited to, the following: Propane cook stoves, Propane tank(s), Serving utensils, Pots and/or cookware, A crock pot for use by the food chair to serve chili. Please be sure your name and phone number
- One table, tasting cups, paper towels, napkins and spoons will be provided to the entrants
- Each entrant is expected to utilize safe and clean stoves and other equipment. The cooking area must show itself to be a safe and clean working environment
- CHILI SHALL BE COOKED ON SITE: Pre-cooking preparation may be done ahead of time, but the actual chili must be cooked on site during the time allotted for the cook-off. All chili must be prepared in the open
- PRECOOKING INGREDIENTS: Commercial chili powder is permissible. However, complete commercial chili mixes (“Just add meat” that contain pre-measured spices) are NOT permitted.
- Individual ingredients may be marinated, soaked, chopped, or cut prior to the competition. Extra points will be awarded for unique adaptations and use of Louisiana ingredients.
- SANITATION: Cooks are to prepare and cook chili in as sanitary a manner as possible, with a hand washing station in your booth consisting of a 2-5 gallon water dispenser, soap, paper towels, and a bucket for water to drain into below the water spigot. Please use gloves if garnish (i.e., cheese, onions, etc.) will be added to the chili samples upon serving
- INSPECTION OF COOKING CONDITIONS: Cooking conditions are subject to inspection by the head judge or event director. Failure to comply is subject to disqualification are clearly visible somewhere on the crock pot.
- ONE CHILI PER ENTRY: Each head cook is responsible for preparing one large pot of chili that he/she intends to be judged and shall turn in 7 judging cups from that pot. Leftover chili will be given to the fair for sale.
- A secret number will be issued at the time judging cups are issued. Cooks must present their secret number to the judges at the time the chili is turned into the judges
- PROTECT THE JUDGING CUP: Once judging cups have been issued, each head cook is responsible for his/her judging cup
- CHILI JUDGING RULES: A trophy will be awarded to the team who obtains the highest score taking into consideration the five criteria for scoring: aroma, consistency, color, taste and texture. Each criterion will be ranked on a scale of 1-5 points. Up to three extra points may be awarded for the creative use of Louisiana ingredients (includes native game, Louisiana sausage and farmers market vegetables/ seasonings). These ingredients must be listed on your sample narrative card (see below).
- Judging for the chili begins promptly at 3:15 PM by a panel of seven local celebrities or members of the Baton Rouge community. In addition to your chili sample, each team should provide a short description of their product. In an effort to maintain anonymity, the short narrative will be read to the judges by the chili cook-off chairman. Feel free to embellish.
- SHOWMANSHIP JUDGING, CRITERIA AND SCORING: A trophy will be awarded to the team who scores the highest taking into consideration the theme of the fair, audience appeal and booth set-up.
- The theme of the 2014 fair is “Fall Fiesta.” Each booth should comply with the theme. The team with the most votes will win a trophy for showmanship.
- Fair participants will judge the booths throughout the day.
- Judging will end promptly at 4:00 PM
- The winner will be announced at 6:00 PM immediately following the concert.
Tie Break Rules
• First round: Total points scored for taste
• Second round: Total points for taste and bonus
• Third round: Total points for taste, bonus and texture
• Fourth round: Total points for taste, bonus, texture and consistency